Thursday, October 1, 2009

I Remember

I remember thinking I was the shit because I had a pack of 64 crayola crayons
I remember the first time I played football, so that's what pigskin tastes like...
I remember learning the difference between football and futbol
I remember when luchables were a treat, not a given
I remember when cartoons were still crudely drawn
I remember going to my first art museum, I remember my life changing
I remember my first art class, and how I would wow my teacher
I remember just how uninterested she actually was
I remember my first whiff of paint, and it slid across cheap canvas
I remember doing the same last week. Man it reeks
I remember dreaming about galleries and money,
I remember realizing it probably won't happen, I remember not caring
I remember my first fight, I'm sure he remembers it too...
I remember feeling triumphant, and learning martial arts
I remember my second fight, and how unnecessary it is
I remember fighting in self defense, and the wound that came with it
I remember thinking how cruel people can be, that's for true
I remember my first girlfriend and how immature that was
found out what a broken heart was short after
I remember dating, and how high school girls all have the same M.O.
I remember meeting my current girlfriend and how annoying she is
still is
I remember the day my life changed and what responsibility really meant.
I remember I wasn't ready for it, still trying to work it out
I remember my first day of college and how excited I was
I remember went shit hit the fan right after
I remember my parents' divorce, almost 12 years ago
I remember I didn't know my father much then
still don't
I remember my first taste of a hard knock life, and my hatred for spoiled children
I remember starting this in class with the intention of it being shorter
I'm apparently attracting eves droppers around me, fine
I remember my first and only birthday party in 4th grade and how few friends I had
but man we were mischievous bastards.
I remember losing them one by one
One moved, Three dead, and One hates me, damn how the times change
I remember wishing this professor would shut the hell up, he's useless
I remember the accident and how much I cried, losing friends sucks
I remember swearing off alcohol even though it wasn't involved
I don't remember why I decided to go off on this
I remember when I decided to be an artist
I remember realizing that people responding more to what I have to say
when it was painted rather than said
I remember realizing people don't like to listen
I remember getting into music, and learning the bass
I remember contemplating being a musician and saying fuck it
I remember contemplating being a psychologist and saying fuck it
I remember contemplating studying philosophy and saying fuck that
I remember getting into sociology and left it hanging as a fall back
I remember thinking about all of this in high school
I remember quite a lot that I really don't want to, I hope one day I earn the right to forget.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Felipe,

    This post reminds me of the literary and artistic style of realism and the writer Leo Tolstoy. The purpose of realism is to concentrate on all aspects of life such as in the socio-political realm. All stratifications of society would be revealed not through chimerical or fanciful means or apotheosized [glorified and/or given a divine status] but seen with both positive and negative characteristics within the particular historical context being in itself dynamic. In essence, such a literary style was multifaceted as opposed to a single sided aspect. Leo Tolstoy illustrated the conditions of the plebeians, the situation of an agrarian mode of life as well as the trappings of aristocratic, princely and royal dignity.

    In art [painting], such is also relevant. The Baroque Era was grandiose and highly complex, with theatrical movement, great display of vivacity through colors, great emotionality, utilization of chiaroscuro, tenebrism, the depth and/or blending of color, etc. Rococo art was deemed frivolous with the pursuit of leisure and other past times of the aristocracy/nobility. Such figures as Watteau, and Fragonard come into mind. Their command of color was great, however, the theme of Rococo art was not universal as it did not mention the gloom, despair and misery of the lower classes in opposition to such affluence and decadence of the patrician class. The Neo-Classicists saw to create artwork where symmetry and linear expression were the highest concerns as opposed to color, and the theme changed from lust and leisure to the concepts of self-sacrifice, virtue, rationality, etc. Eventually, Neo-Classicism too was not universal but within the context of the French Revolution and political upheaval that eventually gave birth to the themes of isolation, melancholy, despair, tension between self-autonomy and collectivity, etc during the Period of European Romanticism.


    Your good friend,

    Conrad Jalowski

    ReplyDelete